Leadership Opportunities in The Sixth Form
can become a Prefect?
are the Academy’s role models. If you are a student with an excellent record of
behaviour, attendance, punctuality and dress code then you are a suitable
candidate. However, please do not be put off from applying, if you are someone
who has had problems previously in school but have worked through these.
should be working with and talking to younger students, and be able to build
good working relationships with staff. You should want to make a lasting impact
at the Academy and be involved in decision making.
an effective Prefect you need to have shown leadership skills, you need to be
able to use tact and diplomacy in order to deescalate tricky situations and you
need to have a strong understanding of the needs of working within a community.
should I apply to become a Prefect?
Prefects play a crucial role in supporting and developing the work of the Academy. You will develop teamwork and leadership skills and enhance your CV and university application.
The Senior Student Leadership team meet fortnightly with the Deputy Head of Sixth Form and also attend regular meetings with the Head of The Sixth Form. They line manage the Ambassadors and devise their duties throughout the year so duties may change in response to what is needed to support the school.
It is expected that Prefects will undertake duties including the following:
- Attending Prefect meetings organised by the Senior Student Leadership Team
- Supporting an assigned subject or Academy area as chosen by the Prefect on their application
- Participating in a pastoral role in shorter projects, such as supporting Year 7 transition
- Leading and working on Academy fundraising and charity events
- Improving the Academy environment through occasional duties
- Being an ambassador for the Academy by supporting all open evenings
- Helping to organise the Year 13 celebration events
- Liaising with the Academy librarian
- In due course you may also line manage a Year 12 Deputy Prefect in your area
Being a Prefect is a prestigious role and students are expected to carry it out well for the duration of the position. Students can be replaced as Prefects if they are not committed to their role.
Prefect Application Process
All students wishing to be a Prefect will be required to submit an application form outlining why they are applying for the position. All applicants will then be interviewed as part of the shortlisting process.
wishing to apply for Senior Student Leadership Team positions – Head Students
and Deputy Head Students, will need to prepare a 2 minute presentation to the
student body along with a letter of application outlining their qualities for
the role and their ideas for what they would aim to achieve as part of the
Senior Student Leadership Team.